Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Overkill!

Ever since I got my PS3, my Wii has sat virtually unused next to my TV. Oh sure, I regularly play Wii Fit, RE4, and my virtual console games, but not with the same zest that I've since sunk into most of my PS3 library (can't stop playing...Bioshock). All that changes tomorrow, though, with House of the Dead: Overkill, a follow-up to the excellent House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return. But while the latter disk merely compiled ports of previous efforts, Overkill is an entirely original game built for the Wii. Virtually nothing has changed in terms of gameplay, of course: Overkill will still be a rail shooter with co-op. However, it's clear that Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles provided some inspiration, as Overkill will let players buy new guns and upgrade existing ones.

The game has a "Grindhouse" feel to it, and every video I've watched brings to mind a Tarantino film or, more appropriately, From Dusk 'til Dawn (replace vampires with zombies). If you were smart enough to pre-order the game at Gamestop (I was not), you'll get the special edition, which includes a pulp comic book and a slipcase for the game. No online multiplayer, of course, but get at least two people in a room and it's tough to have a better time. Blowing zombies away is pretty satisfying as far as gaming goes.

1 comment:

lantaro said...

I am officially intrigued.