Headline of the day: People are retarded. I've never weighed in on the issue of homosexual couples, but I'm gonna go ahead and make my opinions on the subject known.
1) Who freaking cares. We're fighting a war in Iraq, gas and food prices are at an all-time high, the Euro has surpassed the American dollar to such an extent that if it becomes the new world economic standard, we're screwed, America is facing an unbelievably important election year, and what are people making a flap about? Two lesbians kissing at a sporting event. Way to prioritize, America.
2) Who freaking cares? Does it affect your straight marriage in the least? Will atomic bombs be dropped from Heaven Above if we allow these sinful unions to continue? Is God shaking his Almighty finger in our general direction right now? It seems like (forgive my generalization) it's the religious conservatives who really get riled up over gay unions. And why? It's an affront to their religion, sure, but why condemn it? How does it affect you, religious guy? If God takes you into Heaven and casts the gays into a lake of fire, why do you care? Are you actually concerned for their souls, or are you worried that God will say to you, "Hey, you could've done something about this, but you didn't do enough, so into the flames with you!" Are you worried about their soul(s), or yours?
3) Jim Ridnour, a 54-year-old, close-minded moron, says that he "would be uncomfortable" seeing lesbians kiss in public. "If I had my family there, I'd have to explain what's going on." Really? Are kids really going to say, "Daddy, why are those two women kissing?" No, they're not, unless you've beaten it into the heads specifically that two women kissing making God mad. Innocent children are going to think (Allah forbid) that kissing is associated with affection or love. They're going to think--wait for it--that the two women are in love!
If you don't take the time to explain, in great detail, why two women (or men) kissing is wrong, kids are going to grow up thinking it's perfectly all right, which is what we're trying to accomplish. If, for whatever reason, your kid turns to you and says, "Daddy, why are those two ladies kissing?" You can say, "They're in love, sweetie." And the kid can think whatever s/he wants. Don't make an excuse for the homosexual couple, but accept it as what it is.
4) Gays and lesbians aren't out to thumb their noses at society. They're in love.
5) Over 50% of straight marriages end in divorce. Clearly, same-sex marriage is a pillar of excellence. What I'm really saying, perhaps sarcastically, is who are we to judge?
And that's basically my little political rant. I try not to get involved in these heated debates, but the Seattle story (hat-tip to Greg Laden) threw me into a miniature rage.