Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Introducing Guarinisuchus munizi


A new paper today in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B chronicles the discovery of a new dyrosaurid crcodylomorph from South America, even thought the family is known from Africa. This suggests that before the K/T Extinction event, these crocodiles invaded the Atlantic Ocean and covered the distance between the two continents, even migrating upwards to North America during the Paleocene. Although I told Will that I thought this new croc was closer to geosaurs than modern crocs, a mere glance at the life restoration (above) makes me think differently. I am no expert on Crurotarsian phylogeny, though, so if somebody can enlighten me about Neosuchian relationships, I'd appreciate it!
And check out the paper! It is, for now at least, open access.

No comments: